I’ve written a good bit about Alÿs here on MAN, including:
- Futility in Alÿs, futility in art history;
- Given the news, consider Alÿs and futility in the context of the immigration debate; and
- Considering When Faith Moves Mountains in the context of three religions and Alÿs’s own notes about the project.
Also, because Alÿs makes much of his work available under a Creative Commons license via francisalys.com, this week MANPodcast.com is featuring something of an Alÿs film festival. Among the films streaming there are:
- REEL-UNREEL, made in Kabul, Afghanistan (2011);
- Game Over, made in Culiacan, Mexico (2011);
- Paradox of Praxis 1 (Sometimes Making Something Leads to Nothing), made in Mexico City (1997);
- Painting/Retoque, made in Paraiso, Panama (2008);
- When Faith Moves Mountains (making of), made in Lima, Peru (2002); and
- Railings (Samples II), made in London (2004).