- Last week’s fire at the Phillips Collection reminded Greg Allen of the 1958 MoMA fire.
- The best Labor Day blog post I’ve seen. Awesome, awesome (collection) images.
- Did Gerome’s paintings inspire Ridley Scott and other film directors?
- The dream art-in-America road-trip? Maybe.
- With books such as this and projects such as this, perhaps experimental geography is the next big thing.
- Is this the post-war European most overdue for an American retrospective? (Yes.)
- Salon conceptualists Allora & Calzadilla will represent the United States at the 2011 Venice Biennale. The selection creates a jarring dichotomy: In 2009 pioneering conceptualist Bruce Nauman filled the U.S. pavilion. Two years later his third-generation spawn will. The installation of new work will be curated by the Indianapolis Museum of Art’s Lisa Freiman. (Oddly, the IMA’s blog ignored the news.)
Art-focused Journalism by Tyler Green