- RIP Joe Deal, 63. Robert Mann Gallery has announced that Deal died Friday in Providence, R.I. following an eight-year battle against cancer. Deal is best-known for being one of the ‘New Topographics’ photographers. His work is in the collection of dozens of museums. Earlier this year the Center for Creative Photography at the University of Arizona acquired Deal’s archive. I wrote about Deal’s most recent show and book here.
- The Los Angeles Times goes all-out on the occasion of the John Baldessari retrospective opening this week at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art: Jori Finkel profiles Baldessari, talks to his students, and the LAT has a slideshow of Baldessari images that will hopefully be re-sized by the time you click on it.
- Speaking of LACMA, Finkel reports the best news of the week: The museum has finally purchased Tony Smith’s monumental Smoke, which debuted at the Corcoran Gallery of Art in 1967, was destroyed, and was re-made for LACMA. It’s a Flickr-fave (even if searching for it takes some work).
- The Indianapolis Star’s Tania E. Lopez reports that about 10,000 people attended the opening of the IMA’s Art & Nature Park.
- The latest newspaper to dump its art critic: The San Diego Union-Tribune, which has laid off Robert L. Pincus. Follow him on Twitter to see what he does next.
- Kenneth Baker previews the coming Fisher Collection more-or-less-gift/presentation at SFMOMA.
- While discussing new shows at MassMoCA and the Clark, Sebastian Smee picks the contemporary art trend-of-the-moment.
- In the Miami Herald, Tom Austin reviews the first US show of French collective Claire Fontaine at MOCA North Miami. Timely stuff.
- The Stranger’s Jen Graves says that three years in, Olympic Sculpture Park is finally living up to its potential.
- The Albright-Knox is expanding its western New York survey show to include non-western New York artists, reports Colin Dabkowski in the Buffalo News. More here.
- The LAT’s Christopher Hawthorne evaluates Eli Broad, architecture client.
Art-focused Journalism by Tyler Green
Tyler Green Modern Art Notes
June 21, 2010, 7:11 am