- Great tidbit from the Art Institute of Chicago: Over the last ~ 10 months, the AIC has experienced an increase of 500,000 visitors over the previous ~10 months. Take a look at data adjusted to ‘throw out’ the opening of the museum’s Renzo Piano-designed Modern Wing: From July, 2008 through the end of April, 2009 the AIC clocked about one million visitors. Then the Modern Wing opened May 16. Between July and the end of April 2010, 1.5 million people visited. ‘Tis a bit of a mystery. (UPDATE: A couple of readers have emailed in to ask if this is a shot at the AIC. No, absolutely not. Increased attendance, especially by 50% = awesome.)
- On Tuesday, Christopher Knight suggested some art that might adorn LACMA’s BP-sponsored entrance. Heart as Arena has more oily ideas.
- Embarrassingly unbeknownst to me, the Art Gallery of Ontario has been hosting a Wangechi Mutu show for the last three months. Check out this podcast of a panel discussion on her work.
- The Minneapolis Institute of Arts offers free admission via Twitter.
- Jonathan Jones has a nice post on exactly how devastating the Paris art theft is.
Art-focused Journalism by Tyler Green