After a more than six month delay, Museum Berggruen director Kyllikki Zacharias has announced further details of the institution’s reopening on March 17, the Tagesspiegel reports. Home to the Sammlung Berggruen, renowned around the world for its focus on classical modern masters such as Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse, Paul Klee, Georges Braque, and Alberto Giacometti, the museum has been closed for renovations and an expansion since the late summer of 2011. Originally, it was scheduled to reopen in the middle of 2012 but was forcibly delayed by structural issues with the expansion building, the Stühler-bau’s former Kommandantenhaus, which sits opposite the Schloss Charlottenburg.
Renovations on the interior are said to be nearly completed, while landscaping and work to the museum’s grounds still lies ahead. The March opening will see an additional ten exhibition rooms spread over approximately 1000 square meters added to the Museum Berggruen’s former 18 rooms. An additional 50 works have been acquired via loan by the museum for the new space, adding to their already 250 work strong collection.
Heinz Berggruen, who sold his collection to the Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz in 2000 for well below market value, conceived of such an expansion over 15 years ago. However, it was only after his death in 2007 that the board approved an additional €6.5 million for such an expansion to occur. Berlin’s Kuehn Malvezi architects won the competition for the project, and have connected the old Museum Berggruen to this newly renovated building via a 22 meter long enclosed walkway, looking out over a newly created sculpture park.