Among the flood-damaged areas of Hurricane Sandy is the National September 11 Memorial & Museum site in Lower Manhattan. The Memorial and its Preview site at 20 Vesey Street reopened yesterday providing temporarily limited access (from 10am-4pm), while cleanup efforts continue in the area.
A press release from the museum said, “The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey led pumping operations that have successfully removed at least seven feet of water from the Museum space, and workers are now focused on removing pockets of water and debris.”
It also confirmed that most of the museum’s collection is safe, despite the fact that some larger pieces, already in place at the museum-in-progress, were inundated by flood waters.
The museum’s press release also said it would honor previously reserved passes and dates affected by closures, however visitors will be accommodated on a first-come, first-serve basis — with passes not available at the Preview site.
Check back with the 9/11 Memorial & Museum’s website for updates.
– Alanna Martinez
Photo Courtesy 9/11 Memorial & Museum